Based on the tableaux vivants or living pictures technique, La Conversione di un Cavallo is a work of great visual impact and yet of extreme simplicity performed by Ludovica Rambelli Theatre . Twenty-three of the best Caravaggio canvases are brought to life by the actors and a few props, such as draped fabrics of varied colours and textures and other everyday objects. Just one stream of light brightens the scene, working as an imaginary frame.
The changes are all “en plain air” and rhythmically punctuated by Mozart, Bach, Vivaldi and Sibelius’ music. You will be entranced as art and theatre overlap.
The paintings they will enact are:
1. The Entombment of Christ (1602-1603) Vatican Pinacoteca, Vatican City.
2. Mary Magdalen in Ecstasy (1606) Private Collection.
3. Crucifixion of St. Peter (1601) Cerasi Chapel of Santa Maria del Popolo, Rome.
4. The Beheading of St. John the Baptist (1608) St. John’s Co-Cathedral, Valletta.
5. Death of the Virgin (1604) Louvre Museum, Paris.
6. Judith Beheading Holofernes (1599) Palazzo Barberini, Rome.
7. The Incredulity of Saint Thomas (1600- 1601) Sanssouci Picture Gallery, Postdam.
8. The Flagellation of Christ (1607-1608) Museo Nazionale di Capodimonte, Naples.
9. Sacrifice of Isaac (1602) Cremonini Collection.
10. The Martyrdom of St. Matthew (1600) Church of St. Louis of the French, Rome.
11. Annunciation (1609-1610) Musée des Beaux-Arts, Nancy.
12. Adoration of the Shepherds (1609) Museo Nazionale, Messina.
13. Rest on the Flight into Egypt (1595-1596) Doria Pamphili Gallery, Rome.
14. Pilgrim’s Madonna (1604-1606) St. Augustine Church, Rome.
15. Saint Catherine of Alexandria (1597) Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum, Madrid.
16. Narcissus (1597-1599) Galleria Nazionale d’Arte Antica, Palazzo Barberini, Rome.
17. Saint John the Baptist in the Wilderness (1604) Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City, Missouri.
18. Burial of St. Lucy (1608) Church of Santa Lucia alla Badia, Syracuse.
19. The Martyrdom of St. Ursula (1610) Palazzo Zevallos, Naples.
20. The Raising of Lazarus (1609) Museo Nazionale, Messina.
21. Penitent Magdalene (1594-1595) Doria Pamphili Gallery, Rome.
22. St. Francis of Assisi in Ecstasy (1594-1595) Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford.
23. Bacchus (1596-1597) Uffizi Gallery, Florence/Basket of Fruit (1594-1598) Biblioteca Ambrosiana, Milan.
Dora De Maio
We are grateful to Savills, headline sponsors of OFA Virtual 2021